The Budapest Investigating Prosecution Office said on Monday that allegations
by Nazi hunter Efraim Zuroff according to which Hungarian
war crime suspect Laszlo Csatary was linked to the Kamyanets-Podilsky
deportations of 1941 were groundless.
Public radio Kossuth reported that according to an expert investigating the case
Csatary was not in Kassa (now Kosice, Slovakia) in 1941 and
therefore he did not have the opportunity to be involved
in the deportations to western Ukraine’s Kamyanets-Podilsky.
However, the investigation will continue in connection with
his involvement in the 1944 deportations.
Zuroff, the director of Jerusalem-based
Simon Wiesenthal Centre, had submitted reports against Csatary
for the deportations in 1941 and 1944.
Last week, the Budapest Investigating
Prosecution Office interviewed 97-year-old Csatary as a suspect
in war crimes in connection with the events in Kassa in 1944.
He denied allegations.
Spokeswoman of the Budapest Public
Prosecutor Bettina Bagoly told the radio that information
gathered so far had revealed that Csatary could not be associated
with the deportations in 1941.
According to Jerusalem’s Wiesenthal
Centre, Csatary, as police commander of the local ghetto
in Kassa, had a key role in the deportation of over 15,000
Jews to the Auschwitz death camp in spring 1944, and around
300 Jews to a camp in Kamyanets-Podilsky.
At the end of the war, Csatary fled
Hungary and settled in Canada, where he was granted Canadian
citizenship in 1955. He was sentenced to death in absentia
by the Czechoslovak authorities in 1948. In October 1997,
Csatary left Canada to avoid procedures of expulsion after
it turned out that his application for citizenship had contained
Hungarian authorities put Csatary
under house arrest in mid-July.